Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Phil Dunn, CEO & Founder of Synapse Services Company and Published Author

We are right at the top of the hour. “The only cats worth anything are the cats that take chances.” - Thelonius Monk. This is a powerful quote presented on the blog of today's guest, Phil Dunn.

I met Phil Dunn recently as I was traveling through the www.blogger.com neighborhood, where we are both neighbors. In reading some of Phil's blog posts, I was struck with very inciteful information, as Phil shared his prefessional experience. In addition to running a a very successful business, Phil is also author of The 7 Essential Steps to Successful eBay Marketing published by McGraw-Hill 2005. We are honored that you have joined us on the show today Phil.


What is the name of your company and what products or services does it provide?
Synapse Services Co.
Marketing writing and strategy for technology and medical/healthcare companies. We write compelling marketing copy for companies in the technology and medical fields. We specialize in “turning complex subjects into everyday benefits.” We also consult with eBay sellers to make their listings more profitable. If you'd like to start a project, discuss business opportunities or learn more about what we do, please call (949) 515-3510 or drop a note to Phil@QualityWriter.com

What role do you play in your organization?
Writer, lead generator, deal closer, blog writer, bookkeeper, janitor..

As a successful person, how did you get started?
When e-mail was really new, I started emailing technology companies and asked to be forwarded to or connected with the marketing manager/director. I built a big database of cold contacts which I developed into 5-10 consistent customers.

Initially, after getting an M.A. in Journalism from USC, I was a technology and business writer for various writers. Freelance didn't pay so well for that though. That's when I got into marketing writing -- brochures, white papers, data sheets, etc.


How did you learn what it takes to succeed?
I was raised by two very independent entrepreneurial parents (a software publisher and a graphics artist). I got lots of advice from both of them. I trained was a copier salesman for a couple of years before getting my masters, too (complete Xerox training program and a couple of years pounding the pavement). I learned a lot about persistence, rejection and the numbers game. That's helped me a lot.


What personal/family activities do you enjoy?
I like to play games and act silly with my two boys (11 mos and 3 yrs). I play ice hockey and surf when time permits. I'm a big business/marketing book junkie, too. That could be considered work, though -- research.

What experiences in your life have helped you expand who you are as a person?
Marriage was a big expander. I work well in tight relationships, and marriage has honed that skill even further. Travel is a constant source for creativity expansion.. whether it's travel to a different part of town or to a far-off vacation. Changing scenery, smells, tastes, sounds and languages help me keep a fresh eye. I always return a different person.

What are your concerns about the world today?
I keep my concerns pretty micro. For example -- how happy is the family? Is my wife feeling good? What kinds of things is my son learning in school? Are the baby's needs being met?

Occasionally I'll think about my emergency plans for a big California quake (in light of Katrina). What to do in the event of a major terrorist attack in the region... I try not to dwell on that, though.

If you had all the time and all the money you needed, what types of things would you do? Consider money as no object.
I would throw small dinner parties for friends with home-cooked gourmet food (maybe a bit better than we already throw). I'd take special education trips with my sons to show them all the interesting things around town (like construction sites, dock loaders, skyscrapers, manufacturing sites, mining operations -- the stuff that makes the world move). I'd linger over wine with my wife more often than now. I'd get into the ocean daily, attend every Hockey and baseball game possible.

Are there any tips or advice you would like to offer people?
Find your niche. Stick to it. Discover how to raise your prices. Seek out your ideal customers. Provide genuine help. Communicate. Maintain personal connections.

Are people more interesting than product stories?
Yes -- stories that are 90% people and 10% product seem to be the most compelling.

What are your goals and aspirations for the future?
Publish my next book by February. Break into the top 10 with the eBay book. Develop a Web course that teaches business people how to market and communicate better.

What obstacles do you have to overcome to achieve your goals?
I need to write like a madman to meet the Feb deadline, get more exposure for the eBay book, and find the time to do the Web course.

Which people have been role models to you?
Ayn Rand, Omar Bradley, Teddy Roosevelt, my dad & mom, Peter Tosh

Albert Camus -- "If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life."

What are your favorite books, computer programs, or forms of entertainment?
Books: Atlas Shrugged, Type & Layout - Are You Communicating or Just Making Pretty Shapes, Ogilvy on Advertising, Tested Advertising Methods (Caples), We (Zamiatin), The Castle (Franz Kafka)

Software: Google Desktop, Skype, Adobe Photoshop Album, Halo 2,

Movies: After Hours (Martin Scorsese), Memento, Sideways, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Amadeus, The Usual Suspects, King of the Hill, Brazil

TV: South Park, Family Guy

What is it that you are most passionate about or gives you the greatest enjoyment in life?
Clear, interesting, relevant, entertaining, informative communication.

No comments: