Friday, April 29, 2005

Marcela Landres, Editorial Consultant

It's 3 minutes before the hour. "The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." - Mark Twain (1835-1910) American writer and humorist

I'm extremely excited and honored to have Marcela Landres in our studio today. Her innovative approach in sharing her ideas not only help people become published authors, Marcela's accomplishments are a beacon of encouragement for people chasing that elusive animal called "success". In addition to being a highly sought after international speaker, Marcela presents writing workshops at the Learning Annex in New York City, which sell out quickly. After attending her workshops, Marcela has inspired me to complete my book manuscript and fearlessly submit a book proposal to publishers. Thank you, Marcela, for taking time to share with us today.

What is the name of your company and what products or services does it provide?
Marcela Landres, Editorial Consultant. I work one-on-one with writers, providing developmental editing for manuscripts, critiques for book proposals, and strategic advice on how to launch and maintain a successful writing career. I work with writers of all backgrounds in fiction and non-fiction, and specialize in helping Latino writers get published. I am also the Publisher of Latinidad', a free career advice newsletter for Latino writers, and the creator of the web site http://www.marcelalandres.com/.

What role do you play in your organization?
I am the Owner.

As a successful person, how did you get started?
I was an editor at Simon & Schuster for seven years.

How did you learn what it takes to succeed?
Experience is my best teacher. I've learned many things over the years, but some key lessons are:

If you are in a position to help someone, it is your honor and obligation to do so.

Knowledge is power only when shared.

What personal/family activities do you enjoy?
I love to cook a meal from scratch, especially with ingredients from a farmers market. I also love to dance, and will shamelessly dance the night away if given half a chance.

What experiences in your life have helped you expand who you are as a person?
I grew up the daughter of Ecuadorian immigrants in the projects of Long Island City, Queens. Nothing was ever handed to me; everything I have I earned so I learned early in life that if I wanted something, I would have to work for it.

What are your concerns about the world today?
The U.S. educational system lags behind other countries, setting the stage for future American workers to be unable to compete in a global economy. Also, the environment has been so neglected and abused that our health will increasingly become at risk. For instance, when I was a child hardly anyone had allergies; now nearly every child or adult I know has allergies.

If you had all the time and all the money you needed, what types of things would you do?
Start my own publishing company, devoted exclusively to publishing Latino authors.

Are there any tips or advice you would like to offer people?
The smartest, hardest working, and most deserving don't win the race, the most persistent and hungry do. Therefore, don't pursue any endeavor unless it engages your passion.

Are people more interesting than product stories?
People are only as interesting as their stories. When people choose a book to read or a movie or TV show to watch, they don't ask "Who is it about?" they ask "What is it about?"

What are your goals and aspirations for the future?
I would like to write a guide book for Latino writers on how to get published.

What obstacles do you have to overcome to achieve your goals?
I need a 36-hour day!

Which people have been role models to you?
Terry McMillan, she single-handedly taught the publishing industry that black people read books. I'm trying, in my own modest way, to do the same for Latinos.

What are your favorite books, computer programs, or forms of entertainment?
Books:
anything by Annie Dillard or Charles Dickens, and Luis Alberto Urrea's "The Devil's Highway". Films: Sense & Sensibility and the A&E version of Pride & Prejudice. Music: anything with a wicked beat, especially cheesy 80's pop music.

What is it that you are most passionate about or gives you the greatest enjoyment in life?
Good conversation, especially paired with good wine; laughing with my family; playing with my dog; traveling to a city or country new to me; helping writers get published.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, hope all is well with your" legal jobs" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "careers" at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful site. Although I did not find admin jobs as a directmatch to your site, I did however enjoy the career advice from other posts.
Thanks again for being here!

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!