Monday, February 28, 2005

Jonathan McKee, President of The Source for Youth Ministry

3 minutes before the hour and there are people who actually care about what happens in the world.

It is a very refreshing pleasure to welcome
Jonathan McKee to our studio today. I always look forward to reading Jonathan's powerful, youth focused, eZine which is published by his outstanding organization, The Source for Youth Ministry.


What is the name of your company and what products or services does it provide?
We are www.TheSourceforYouthMinistry.com

We love impacting the lives of kids around the world. And one of the best ways we found to do that is by equipping youth workers who are working with these kids. So our ministry's goal is threefold: Speaking to kids, Training student and adult leaders, and Providing Free Resources on our web site.

What role do you play in your organization?
I am the president, founder, janitor and best boy.

As a successful person, how did you get started?
I started on the front lines as a youth worker. I was a volunteer in the church, then I worked with Youth for Christ reaching "unchurched" kids for almost 10 years. When I looked on the web for some free resources, I found few . . . almost none. I thought, "What a shame. I have a whole file cabinet full of curriculum and ideas that I've developed over the years. Why don't people share these things?" So I did. And the web site was a hit. So we started doing it full time.

How did you learn what it takes to succeed?
By God's grace. Actually, I've learned about 100 ways how NOT to succeed over the last decade. But slowly, I'm learning a few things that work in youth ministry. And I'm trying to share those ideas with as many people as possible.

What personal/family activities do you enjoy?
I love just hanging out with my family . . . my wife Lori, and my three kids, Alec, Alyssa and Ashley. They're awesome. We like family bike rides, back pack trips . . . or just piling on the coach with popcorn and a movie.

What experiences in your life have helped you expand who you are as a person?
Eating Pizza! Pizza has made me the man I am!


But I guess I’d also say working with kids on campus. Kids across the globe are hurting and looking for someone to notice them. As I spent years on campus meeting kids and investing time into their lives . . . my life was changed. God used me to share his love with kids. And there's no greater joy than being used by God to make a difference.

What are your concerns about the world today?
MTV. Have you seen that crap?

Are there any tips or advice you would like to offer people?
Yeah . . . don’t swing your 5 year old around in circles after she just finished eating a spaghetti dinner.

And don't ever stop learning. The successful people I know are teachable. When I meet a guy who "knows all the answers" . . . I meet someone who's reached their limit. Go into every situation trying to learn something. Everyone has something to offer. (yes, some less than others)

Which people have been role models to you?
Ray Johnston, Jim Burns, Chap Clark . . . and Napoleon Dynamite.

What are your favorite books, computer programs, or forms of entertainment?
My top 10 favorite books are listed on my web site on the left hand side bar: www.TheSourc4YM.com. My least favorite computer program is Microsoft Word because it can spell and format better than me. My favorite entertainment has to be movies. I’m sort of a movie fanatic. But everyone knows that from my movie review page: www.thesource4ym.com/moviereviews

What is it that you are most passionate about or gives you the greatest enjoyment in life?
My 7 year old came home from church the other day and told me how she really wants to trust God with her actions. I asked her if that meant that she would stop talking about how the cat’s butt rises when you pet it. She agreed.


The greatest joy in my life is when I see my own kids following Christ. I love it when I see “a light go on” during a family devotions time or when I see my son put $5 out of his pocket to give to a homeless person on the street. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Jonathan McKee
The Source for Youth Ministry
www.TheSource4YM.com

No comments: