Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Priya Shah, CEO of eBizWhiz Publishing

It's 20 minutes before the hour. Give your significant other a compliment today.

Ms. Priya Shah is a person whose writings I have followed for over a year. The information Priya provides people is not only informative, but always caring for other people to succeed. Priya is part of a small group of expeditionaries that is blazing trails on the web log educational frontier. I'm honored, Priya, that you could travel all the way from India to take time from your family time and business schedule to join us today in the studio.

What is the name of your company and what products or services does it provide?
Well, my main company is called eBizWhiz Publishing. I call myself an internet publisher because I love publishing websites, newsletters and blogs. On the EbizWhiz website http://www.eBizWhiz-Publishing.com I sell ebooks, products and services related to internet marketing and website promotion. But I also sell wellness info-products and supplements through a number of other sites - Contact@eBizWhiz-publishing.com

What role do you play in your organization?
I used to be everything from CEO to chief bottlewasher J. I basically used to do everything, from creating sites, installing scripts and writing content, but now I am learning to outsource work so I have more time to read, write and grow my business.

As a successful business person, how did you get started?
I've worn many caps, but the one I enjoy wearing most is that of a writer and journalist. I started my online career publishing a non-profit website and newsletter on environmental issues, but when money got tight, I had to get serious about earning an income. I prefer being my own boss and I did everything I could to take me in the direction of becoming financially independent. Online publishing was kind of a natural progression from journalism for me. I spent time learning how to promote and monetize my sites, and now I'm happy that I can help others learn how to do that.

How did you learn what it takes to succeed?
The school of hard knocks J. But seriously, it's a love for learning and the challenge of doing something new that really keeps me going. I don't have an aversion to hard work, as long as I call the shots . I was lucky to have chosen a few good mentors along the way, people whose values aligned with mine. I learnt a lot by observing the way they conducted themselves and their business.

What personal/family activities do you enjoy?
I love music, dancing, playing my guitar, singing. I love reading books and watching movies. Books and music provide me with creative inputs that I could never have got elsewhere. Travel is another thing I would love to do, but never seem to have the time for. My daughter and I love going to the beaches and I hope to buy a house by the beach in Goa someday J

What experiences in your life have helped you expand who you are as a person?
I have a lot to thank my parents and husband for. My parents taught me to use my talents and helped me expand my mind with the books and ideas they exposed me to. My husband (with whom I've been since I was 16) has been my best friend and guide. The hardships we’ve gone through together, financially and emotionally, have taught me a lot and I’m a better person for it today. I had health problems that made me realise how precious and transient life is and that we should live for the present because the present is the only reality we have. The future is always uncertain.

What are your concerns about the world today?
I've stopped worrying too much about things that are beyond my control. There was a time when I wanted to change the world and would campaign for every cause I believed in, especially those involving the environment or children’s rights. I still try to do what I can for the causes I believe in. But I don’t waste time anymore trying to change the way people think. Whether it concerns politics, beliefs, ethics, work, the hardest thing in the world is to try to change people, their attitudes and mindsets.If you want something to change, you must do it yourself. You can't depend on anyone else to do it for you. As a wise man from India said, "You must become the change you want to see in this world."

If you had all the time and all the money you needed, what types of things would you do? Consider money as no object.
Well I guess the first thing I would do would be to buy myself that beach house in Goa. J. But mainly I would just be happy to finally be able to donate my time, money and energy to my pet causes and fund new ventures. Travel would also be big on my agenda. There are a lot of places I am eager to visit and learn from. And maybe I would even find the time to write that novel.

Are there any tips or advice you would like to offer people?
Well I think they would find a lot of those in my articles and newsletters J, but if I had to condense them into a few lines I would say
- Never give up on your dreams.
- Keep learning and adapting. Stay on top of what’s happening in your field.
- Keep networking and building new relationships, both online and offline.
- Find your USP – the quality that will distinguish you from others in your field.
- Attitude is everything! So make sure yours is good J
- Treat others the way you would want to be treated and finally
- Remember what goes around, comes around.


What are your goals and aspirations for the future?
Like I said, I live for the present and I don’t plan too far ahead, except when it concerns my daughter. J I have a lot of ideas and dreams for my business and for life, but ideas are of no use unless they are implemented. I’m a little superstitious (call it my Indian upbringing) about talking about future plans, so I don’t want to go into them in detail here. My goal is to build a business that will create wealth, not just make money. I want to create something of value to others.

What obstacles do you have to overcome to achieve your goals?
The main obstacle you need to overcome to do anything in life is to get over the fear that comes with doing something new. We get obsessed wondering what will happen if we fail, what if we don’t prove up to it.But attitude is everything. Overcoming your own negative attitude, your own mental limitations, is the biggest challenge. If you think you can do it, you can. If you have a “can-do” attitude, you’re half-way there.

Which people have been role models to you?
I have had many role models many of whom have nothing to do with the field I’m in. But with all of them, what drew me to them was their persistence, integrity and amazing attitude.People like Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking inspired me when I was growing up, mainly because I shared their thirst for knowledge. Indira Gandhi, Barbra Streisand, for being the strong women they were. Anil Agarwal (of the Center for Science and Environment) for his tireless fight for environmental justice in India.In the field I’m in today, I admire Dan Kennedy and Jim Edwards for their attitude and Stephen Pierce for his persistence and determination to succeed. But I’m not star-struck. I respect anyone, famous or not, who stands up for what they believe, leads through example, has learnt a lot from life, and is willing and open enough to share that with others.

What are your favorite books, computer programs, or forms of entertainment?
My favourite forms of entertainment are reading, music, dancing and movies. I’m a child at heart I love reading novels and non-fiction as much as I love reading fairy tales and Pooh bear books to my daughter.
Favourite books:

Contact by Carl Sagan
The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan
Bonjour Tristesse by Françoise Sagan
The Golden Gate by Vikram Seth
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
A River Sutra by Gita Mehta
Exodus by Leon Uris

The Seven Spiritual Laws Of Success by Deepak Chopra
No Rules by Dan Kennedy
Who Moved My Cheese? by Spencer Johnson

I have too many favourite movies to list, but am partial to sci-fi, sfx, comedy and musicals.
A list of some of them:

Frida Yentl,
Funny Girl
Contact
The Star Wars series

The Thomas Crown Affair (and almost anything starring Pierce Brosnan J)
Gone With The Wind
Romeo and Juliet (starring Leo de Caprio)
The Cider House Rules
Guess Whose Coming To Dinner

Phenomenon
Alfred Hitchcock’s movies
The Three Amigos and Charlie Chaplin flicks
The Wizard of Oz

Disney Musicals
Singing In The Rain
Gigi
Fiddler on the Roof
The Mummy & The Mummy Returns

Spiderman
The Day After Tomorrow
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Pyasa
Chalti Ka Naam Gadi
Sholay
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron
Arth
Lakshya (Hindi)

What time of the day are you at your best?
I’m a night owl - not a morning person at all. I can often be found up working at the same time as my subscribers and customers in the US. J I’m most active and get my best ideas at night.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile now and I see what you believe in shows mostly there. The thought that comes from reading more about you is life is what you make of it. The go to attiude is so needed and I am glad to know that I am not the only one who enjoys Jim Edward! He is a writer like you are but you love of writing shows in everything. Its feels it along with your husband(I been married 21 years) That writing is what you love the most.
I have learn alot from your writings and one thing you said that I wish I knew it was the wrote it cause I would like to read more of his work. To change the world we start with ourselfs. How true, we must never stop growing and changing to become a better, more satisfied person. Have works like yours and others make me think and work on myself.
One thing you did say was you stop worrying about the world around you leaving that up to those who know what to do, but when it hits home you did say something about it. But in pointing out the mess about food just sitting when people who need could get it because of someone in your government not looking pass the past but I glad to see that that has changed. Writing makes others think.
KIM
Http://havecoffee.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

At first I was attracted to your site becuase I also have Indian roots and just wanted to check out a fellow country woman. But when I got into details I found out you also have lot of substance. I sometimes visit India. Amazing country.